Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Chapter 5 Staff Development for Technology Integration in the Classroom

For teachers to be able to integrate technology into the curriculum they need to have a vision that will change with the technology. Four approaches to professional development for technology integration illustrate staff development plans that leverage local expertise and aim for schoolwide improvement (Collier, 2001). Technology mentors can be new teachers or teachers that know about technology and how to integrate it into the curriculum.
At my school we have many teachers that know a lot about technology and are always happy to help other teachers with any technology difficulties they are having. I think that the most important aspect of technology integration is having teachers that understand how to incorporate technology in the curriculum and are willing to learn how to use the technology. Sometimes I get frustrated with technology because the computers are old or don’t work all the time, but I know the benefits technology can have for student learning. So I am trying not to get frustrated with the technology in my classroom and started using the projection system a lot more. It surprises me sometimes how much students know about technology, even the little ones know a lot more then you think.

Technology integration cannot happen without the proper staff development that focuses on the teachers’ and students’ needs with the cooperation of the administration.
Reference

Collier, C. (2001). Staff development for technology integration in the classroom. In LeBaron,J.F. & Collier, C. (eds.) Technology in its place: Successful technology infusion in schools. SanFrancisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.

1 comment:

LauraS. said...

Claudia I like the way you think. I can't stand the fact that the computers are old. We want to use technology but we don't have the hardware to run it. I tried to do a United Streaming video while I was doing a practicum last week and we had the whole technology department trying to get the video sound to come out of the television. Tough stuff. I also like the comment that teachers that are savy to technology help the others. At least at your school the teachers are trying. Does not mean that everyone will jump on board but it is a good start. Great blog!